SEARCH POST

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

LALA AND CARMELO TO MARRY

lala-Carmelo
lala-carmelo-and-baby-kiyan





Onetta: You have had a successful career that has spanned over a decade. When it comes to your career, what accomplishments are you most proud of?
Lala: I’m definitely proud of the fact that I am able to be in a position to be a role model or inspire young women who want to be in the radio/tv/film business. I get the most joy out of talking to young women, telling them my story, and hopefully inspiring them to be better and inspiring them to reach for the stars! That to me is really the best part of all his.




Onetta: When I look at a lot of successful people, it’s evident to me that they all have something in common; they all have this unbelievable drive and determination. It’s obvious that you have those qualities as well. With that said, what drives and motivates you to want more out of life?
Lala: What drives me the most is my son and the example I want to set for him. I’ve always been independent and I never want to be in a position where I have to rely on anyone for anything. I love having my own and being able to make my own decisions. I want my son to see this and hopefully one day finds a woman who is driven as well.
Onetta: It’s no secret that media scrutiny comes along with fame and success. Is it difficult at times living your life under such a microscope?
Lala: At times it can be difficult, but it comes with the territory. It is what it is. Like my mom always says, “You should worry when people AREN’T talking about you.” So for me, I understand that, and I accept it. I just live my life and try to enjoy it. You never know when all this could be over. I live in the moment.
Onetta: The industry you work in places a great emphasis on beauty and body image. You are such a beautiful woman and always appear so confident; but have you ever felt that the way that you look wasn’t good enough?
Lala: I think all women have insecurities when it comes to their bodies. I’m definitely no exception. I have my “good days” and my “bad days.” The important thing is to constantly remind yourself that you are beautiful. Always tell yourself that, even if no one else does. Beauty begins on the inside. Looks will fade, but your core will remain. So place your energy and focus on being beautiful on the inside.
Onetta: What advice would you give to anyone who is battling with low self-esteem?
Lala: I would tell them that they are beautiful. I would empower them by explaining to them that we’ve all felt that way at one point or another. The important thing is to keep it in perspective. Focus on things you like about yourself. Focus on things you like to do. Take the emphasis off whatever makes you feel bad and focus on the positives. Life at times will beat us all up enough, so there’s definitely no need to beat ourselves up.
Onetta: Let’s get a little personal. LOL! You and Mr. Carmelo have been holding it down for a while now? What do you love most about Carmelo?
Lala: I love Melo because he has taught me the importance of not taking certain things so seriously. He always has such a calm spirit, even in the face of heavy turmoil. I admire that about him. I’ve learned so much from just watching him in certain situations. But most importantly, he is a great dad to our son Kiyan. I thank God every night for blessing my son with such a great father. Their relationship is awesome!
Onetta: If I could ask Carmelo what he loves most about you, what do you think he would say?
Lala: I think you would have to ask him that! LOL!
Onetta: I hear wedding bells in the near future. Are you guys planning a summer wedding?
Lala: We are planning. I honestly don’t have many details yet. I always get asked the question about marriage and being engaged for so long. My answer to that is it has worked this way for us. I’m not saying this is the way for everyone, but we have moved at our own speed and it has worked. People tend to believe since we’ve been engaged for so long that something is up, we are not happy, or my all time favorite one, “he’s never gonna marry her!” Does being married automatically mean two people are happy? Mel and I took the time out to get to know each other, inside and out. We took time to learn about our likes and our dislikes. After having our son, we both feel ready to take that step. It’s very important to us and it’s the example we want to set for our son. Although everyone may not agree, I’m glad we did it this way.
Onetta: Your son Kiyan is such a cutie! Has motherhood been everything you thought it would be?
Lala: Motherhood has been everything and MORE! My son is my greatest blessing. We have so much fun together. His personality, the things he says, it’s amazing. Do I have my days where I’m completely worn out, ABSOLUTELY, he’s two!!! But in the end, it’s completely worth it.
Onetta: They say that diamonds are a girl’s best friend. I don’t know, I think shoes are. Ms. Lala, you got the shoe game on lock! How many pairs of shoes do you own and what do you think is the must have shoe/boot for this season?
Lala: I have no idea how many shoes I own. I’ve never counted! LOL! I think the thigh high boot is a must this season. I found a great pair at Bakers for $150. You can’t beat that!
Onetta: What is your greatest fear?
Lala: My greatest fear is disappointing my son or not being good enough for him. I always want to set a good example and I want him to be proud of his mom. That’s what keeps me motivated to be career driven. But more importantly, I want to be a good person. All children need positive examples in their life.
Onetta: What always puts a smile on your face?
Lala: I smile when I see people happy. It sounds corny, but it’s the truth. Life itself can be so hard sometimes, that just being happy can be such a challenge for some people. So when I see people forgetting about their troubles and being happy, it makes me smile. Life is short; all we can do is make the best of it. Make good memories that will stay with us forever.
Onetta: Who would you love to meet?
Lala: I would absolutely LOVE to meet Oprah. I’ve met a lot of people being in this business, but I have never crossed paths with Oprah Winfrey. I admire her drive. I’m amazed at the empire she has created. She still seems humble, and always tries to do good things for other people. I just love her all around. She’s my phenomenal woman.
Onetta: You are working on so many projects. Give us some details about the things you are working on.
Lala: I currently have a production company, Krossover Productions. We are a relatively new company, but already have some good credits under our belt. We were one of the producers on the Mike Tyson documentary, which was amazing. Thank you to everyone who supported it! I’m also executive producing two reality shows. I won’t be hosting them, but I will be behind the camera. I’m working on a scripted comedy called “Dumb Bells,” which I also produce and is acting in as well. Trying to get my acting game up!! LOL! I’m also working on a fragrance line. I am constantly going to acting class so I can be prepared whenever acting opportunities presents themselves.
Onetta: Finish the following sentence for me. In the next couple of years I hope to…..
Lala: In the next couple of years, I hope to be happy and healthy!




SOURCE: A WORD FROM MY SISTERS
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment